My Destination is running a contest offering one lucky person an opportunity of a lifetime! The contest is for a 6-month trip around the world with all-expenses paid. The winner will get to experience and document their amazing trip around the world for everyone to see! To learn more about the prize go to: http://www.mydestination.com/bbb#tab
Lesley Carter from Bucket List Publications has lived her dreams of accomplishing bucket list items. And yes, she has done just about everything you can think of. When she heard of this contest, she decided to enter and has been at the top of the vote counts! After the end of the contest on March 31st, the top five vote winners plus five people selected by judges will get a all-expenses paid trip to the U.K. where they will enjoy activities and meet the My Destination judges.
The winner will be announced on May 24th! And the winner’s trip will be from June to December 2013. Lesley Carter took some time to answer some questions about this contest. To vote for her go to: http://www.mydestination.com/users/lesley/bbb#tab
1. Why did you decide to start doing bucket list items? How did you start the blog?
When I was 10 years old, I created a list of things I wanted to do in my life. It just kept getting bigger and bigger so I decided to create a yearly list. It was as simple as that. I loved the idea of writing it down and figuring out ways to accomplish things. A couple of years ago, my husband and I were talking about if we could do any career what would it be and if we could live anywhere in the world where would it be. With travel writing/blogging and California in my mind, we sold everything we owned, packed the car, and moved to California to continue our dream life. I quit my permanent teaching position and started the blog. I’ve been blogging ever since.
2. What has been your best bucket list experience? Your worst experience?
There are many answers to this questions depending on how you look at it. Obviously, my best bucket list item would be having my daughter, but outside of family events and accomplishments, I’d say doing a press trip in Fiji. In ten days, I was able to experience the food, culture, activities, environment, and people on a whole other level. It was like the ultimate vacation on steroids. I went white-water rafting, skydiving, hiking to waterfalls, dune buggy racing, jet boat riding, and surfing all in one trip.
As for a worst experience, I can’t say I have one. Every item on my list is there for a reason. Regardless if it was exactly as I expected, every event/item was an experience worth living.
3. How will this trip around the world change your perspective on the world?
I’ve always loved learning about new countries, cultures, and experiences. A trip around the world will give me first-hand knowledge and understanding of countries and cultures that I never dreamed of experiencing.
4. You talked about Fiji on your submission? How did that change your views on life?
Fiji was my first official press trip. It made me realize that I’m capable of experiencing it all! With continued determination and hard work, I can continue experiencing new countries through blogging.
5. How do you plan to document your adventures during this amazing trip? What places do you want to visit the most?
I blog almost daily already so it won’t be much of a change for documentation. I’ll continue to utilize all forms of social media including blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube. The countries I want to visit most are: Iceland, Russia, India, South Africa, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and Brazil. I chose these countries because I haven’t seen them yet and they’ve been on my list for years but there are dozens more.
6. Since you are a mother with Athena, did having her change anything about your life?
I still want to live a life without restrictions, one where I’m completely unrealistic with my dreams and goals, yet find a way to make them happen; I just have a sidekick to do them with me now. She’s already been on countless planes and watched as her mother flew abiplane, a jet pack, a glider plane, and a helicopter. She’s joined me on press trips and she has a smile on her face all the time. She’s the perfect travel companion. She’s given me more of a reason to strive for greatness and accomplish all of my dreams.
7. After you return from your amazing trip around the world. Have you thought about what you are going to do with the $50,000 prize?
If I win, Athena will be traveling with me and I’ll pay for a friend to come as her nanny. I’m certain this will eat most of the money. Whatever is left will go into an account for Athena’s education.
Thanks to Lesley Carter and Bucket List Publications for answering questions for Geek Alabama! You have until Sunday March 31st to vote for Lesley Carter on the My Destination’s Biggest, Baddest Bucket List contest! To vote for Lesley Carter go to: http://www.mydestination.com/users/lesley/bbb#tab
- The Evening Post: Lesley Carter My Destination Contest (geekalabama.com)
- My Around the World Plan (lesleycarter.wordpress.com)
- Fifty thousand dollars, and 6 months abroad. (youthstrikesback.com)
- Biggest Baddest Bucket List Interview (stephrockwest.com)
- Snakes, Sharks, and Planes: Lesley Carter of Bucket List Publications Encourages Us To Dream BIG (jillarcherauthor.wordpress.com)
- Do me a favour… (trenamarthaller.com)
- living her dreams: lesley (kcsaling.com)
- My Biggest Baddest Bucket List X2 (lesleycarter.wordpress.com)