Think about this, what happens when a foster child has to move from one home to another home. And this child has to move to several different homes during their childhood. And the child puts all of his or her belongings like clothes, in a Wal-Mart bag. That is not too pleasant, isn’t! Now, there is a new organization starting up to change all of this. You can not stop foster kids moving from home to home. But, you can make sure the child has a suitcase to carry their belongings, instead of a plastic shopping bag.
Vickie Thomas got the idea to start It’s My Bag Alabama one day when she was having a bad day. It was God’s way of showing her that her day wasn’t bad at all. After a little bit of research about foster kids in this area, she was crying. As a mother and a grandmother, there should be nothing more important than a child! No child should feel like that are garbage. Many of the kids in foster care have been hurt and abused or just plain ignored. Giving them a little bit of dignity isn’t too much to ask. And a bag that the child can call their own is something that they can hold on to when they leave a home.
When a child is in foster care the heartbreaking reality is that their belongings are usually held in garbage bags. This sends a very damaging message to these kids and teens that they are as disposable as their belongings. It’s My Bag Alabama wants to stop relaying that message! With the help of people like you, their donors, they can replace these garbage bags with suitcases, duffel bags, and book bags so that every child in foster care can say, “It’s my bag!” And if you live in East Alabama, you can help right now!
You can drop off any suitcase or bag at one of the locations below! Make sure the bags are clean and disinfected before you drop them off!
- Engagement House/Magnolia Vacations – 1400 Commerce Blvd, Suite 18 – Anniston, AL 36207
- Area Wide Appraisal – 314 E 12th St. — Point of Contact – Jennifer Brown Kreh – 256-237-3544 —- Office Hours – 8:30am to 4pm – Monday thru Friday.
- Keller Williams Realty Group – 1805 Hillyer Robinson Parkway – Anniston, AL 36207 – Office Hours – 9am to 5pm – Monday – Friday
Expertease Hair Salon – 6326 Highway 431 – Alexandria, AL 36250 – 256-820-3400 – Point of Contact – Teresa Wells – Please call before Drop-Off
- Merle Norman-Jacksonville – 1505 Pelham Rd. South Suite 5 – Jacksonville, AL, United States 36265 – Hours – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm – Monday – Saturday
- TitleBucks – 539 South Quintard, Oxford, AL 36203 – Point of Contact – Sharon Watkins – Office Hours – Monday – Friday – 9am to 7pm – Saturday 10am to 4pm. 256-831-8894
- Buckhorn Clubhouse – 189 Angel Lake Rd – Weaver, AL 36277 – 256-770-7327 – Point of Contact Amy Angel – Please call before drop-off
More drop off points will be announced soon! All suitcases and bags will go to the Alabama Department of Human Resources, Alabama Baptist Home, and The Big Oak Ranch. And coats, jackets, and gloves are also needed! To keep up with the newest drop off points, and to learn more about It’s My Bag Alabama, go to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/itsmybagalabama