Extra Life is a Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals fundraising program that empowers the gaming community to make a difference in the lives of local sick and injured kids. Participants fundraise year-round including a 24‐hour gaming marathon, an annual gaming tournament in Orlando, FL and a weekend of tabletop gaming. Getting involved is as easy as signing up online at extra-life.org, asking your friends and family to donate and pledging to play games in support of the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital of your choice. You can play from the comfort of your own home, playing any game you want. Our 170 member hospitals rely on donations to provide the best care for kids. Since 2008, we have raised over $40 million and it has gone towards things like funding critical treatments, research and equipment, as well as helping families who cannot afford care.
Extra Life is a grassroots experience that mobilizes passionate gamers of all types to help Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals treat sick and injured kids in their communities. Extra Lifers raise money year-‐round, culminating in a massive international day of play each fall and ultimately celebrating one grand total together. Extra Lifers typically participate from the comfort of their own home and have raised more than $40 million dollars since the program was founded by gamers in 2008.
Talking points about Extra Life:
- Extra Life raised over $11.1 million in 2017 alone
- In 2017, more than 50,000 participants registered for Extra Life – pledging to play games and heal kids.
- Extra Life is attracting gaming developers and communities of all types. In 2017, Extra Life’s major community partners included Twitch, Reddit, ESA Foundation, Wizards of the Coast, Trion Worlds, and Rooster Teeth.
- All proceeds from Extra Life directly benefit 170 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals across North America. These hospitals treat children for all illnesses and injuries, regardless of their ability to pay.
Every day, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals treat:
- 16,000 kids in the ER
- 935 kids for diabetes
- 2,218 kids for cancer
- 925 babies in the newborn ICU
- 2,329 kids for surgeries
Every hour, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals treat:
- 675 kids in the ER
- 39 kids for diabetes
- 92 kids for cancer
- 39 babies in the newborn ICU
- 97 kids for surgeries
Learn more about Extra Life at: https://www.extra-life.org And enjoy the Twitch stream below!
Categories: Geek Alabama Gaming Stuff