This weekend from Friday February 23rd to Sunday February 25th is a very important weekend in Alabama. This is the weekend to go to your local retailers to stock on items that can get you prepared for severe weather. If you live in Alabama, you know what we have gone through in weather. We have had the horrible tornado outbreak on April 27th 2011. And we have had major snowstorms, hurricanes, flooding, wind storms, big hail, heat waves, cold waves, and everything you can think of when it comes to extreme weather. Alabama experiences some of the most diverse weather in the world. And YOU are responsible for being prepared if you are without power and water for a week or more. You are also responsible for having supplies ready if you have to evacuate.
Watch as James Spann and Meaghan Thomas show you what should be in your safety kit below!
This weekend, you can get many supplies you need in a safety kit tax-free. This is the only weekend of the entire year where you can save money purchasing supplies needed during a major severe weather situation. Below is a list of supplies you can get tax-free.
- Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt and 9-volt)
- Cellphone battery
- Cellphone charger
- Portable self-powered or battery-powered radio, two-way radio, weather band radio or NOAA weather radio
- Portable self-powered light source, including battery-powered flashlights, lanterns or emergency glow sticks
- Plastic sheeting
- Plastic drop cloths
- Other flexible, waterproof sheeting
- Ground anchor system, such as bungee cords or rope, or tiedown kit
- Duct tape
- Plywood, window film or other materials specifically designed to protect window coverings
- Non-electric food storage cooler or water storage container
- Non-electric can opener
- Artificial ice (blue ice, ice packs, reusable ice)
- Self-contained first-aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Smoke detector
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Gas or diesel fuel tank or container.
Please get ready for the upcoming Spring severe weather season! There is no telling if this Spring will be active like the 2011 Spring severe weather season, but you never know! Get prepared!
See if your city and country is participating in the tax-free holiday by clicking the link below:
Categories: Current Topic Stuff