This week, Rome’s celebration of Geek Week unofficially kicks off tonight and culminates Friday with a community lunch at Heritage Park. Geek Week Rome is a community-wide celebration of technology, innovation, and all things geeky in Rome, Georgia organized by the Technology SquareTable of the Greater Rome Chamber. During Geek Week, they want everyone to know that being a geek is cool! This week-long celebration is a chance for everyone to gather around common geeky activities. All the events are free except the cookout lunch, which will cost $5.
The hope from the Greater Rome Chamber of Commerce is by the end of that week, Romans would definitely be able to discern the difference between geeks and nerds. There are many events taking place across the Rome Georgia area all week-long! Here is a rundown on what you can do during Rome Geek Week!
• Cevian Project Unveiling: Monday, September 16th. 7:30pm. Cevian Design Lab. 401 Broad Street. (this event is hosted by Cevian Design Lab). As a great start to the Geek Week festivities, Cevian will unveil a special interactive, digital, projective project that is sure to be mind-blowing! Stop by their storefront at 401 Broad Street on Monday at 7:30pm to see the unveiling. All are welcome!
• Kickoff: Tuesday, September 17th. 10:00am. Stuenkel Conference Room – Floyd Medical Center. See some geeky videos. Test your wits with Geek Jeopardy. Bring your “Geek Twin.” Get the rules for the Community-Wide Egg Drop Competition. Get your geek gear together! To RSVP for the kickoff, use this link: http://tiny.cc/bblf2w
• Berry College Physical Computing Lab Open House: Tuesday, Sept. 17th. 6pm-8pm. Berry College McAllister Hall (science building) room 128. (This is actually hosted by Berry). Berry College will offer a special open house of their new physical computing lab, designed for innovation design and prototyping. Come check out their 3D printers, vinyl cutters, laser CNC machines, and really cool IBM industrial robot that plays checkers! Info & registration link: http://tinyurl.com/oxl6bk6
• Egg Drop Competition: Wednesday, September 18th. 4:00pm – 6:00pm. Barron Stadium (visitors stand) in downtown Rome. Teams will compete to construct a device that enables a raw egg to be dropped from the top of Barron Stadium without cracking when it hits the ground. To register and/or RSVP to attend the Egg Drop Competition, use this link: http://tiny.cc/aclf2w
• Cookout: Friday, September 20th 11:00am – 1:00pm Heritage Park. Admission is $5.00. We will culminate the week with a picnic celebration. Come for a good time with fellow geeks and free giveaways provided by various technology vendors. Please RSVP in advance by using this link: http://tiny.cc/ndlf2w
The great thing about Geek Week is that anyone can participate! The chamber wants all parts of the community to get involved, including businesses, schools, civic clubs, non-profits, and even hobbyists. Geek Week is also about encouraging our next generation of tinkerers, engineers, mad scientists, and entrepreneurs to explore and pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering, and math). Geek Week is also a chance for people with geeky hobbies like web design, gaming, robotics, and ‘making’ to plan actvities. If you have a robot, a 3D printer, Geek Week is the time to show off your wares.
During Geek Week, help the chamber spread an appreciation and enthusiasm for how technology positively impacts our lives, whether at work, at play, or in the community. Help them showcase all of the amazing technology and innovation that is happening in Rome, Georgia. Learn more about Geek Week Rome at: https://www.facebook.com/geekweekrome and on Twitter @GeekWeekRome.
- Geek Alabama Rewind: Week of 9-14-13 (geekalabama.com)
- Geek Alabama Rewind: Week of 9-7-13 (geekalabama.com)
- Lessons From My First DragonCon Experience (geekalabama.com)
- Win A DVD Copy of Bounty Killer (geekalabama.com)
- Geek Alabama’s Top 10 Photos / Videos While I Was Age 26 (geekalabama.com)
Categories: Local Scenes Stuff