UPDATE: Here is the list of all the victims in the shootings.
- Charlotte Bacon (2/22/06), 6 years old, female
- Daniel Barden (9/25/05), 7 years old, male
- Rachel Davino (7/17/83), Staff member, 29 years old, female
- Olivia Engel (7/18/06), 6 years old, female
- Josephine Gay (12/11/05), 7 years old, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene (4/4/06), 6 years old, female
- Dylan Hockley (3/8/06), 6 years old, male
- Dawn Hochsprung (6/28/65), Principal, 47 years old, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu (7/10/06), 6 years old, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard (6/8/06), 6 years old, female
- Chase Kowalski (10/31/05), 7 years old, male
- Nancy Lanza, 52 years old, female (mother of shooter Adam Lanza)
- Jesse Lewis (6/30/06), 6 years old, male
- James Mattioli (03/22/06), 6 years old, male
- Grace McDonnell (11/4/05), 7 years old, female
- Anne Marie Murphy (7/25/60), Staff member, 52 years old, female
- Emilie Parker (05/12/06), 6 years old, female
- Jack Pinto (05/05/06), 6 years old, male
- Noah Pozner (11/20/06), 6 years old, male
- Caroline Previdi (9/07/06), 6 years old, female
- Jessica Rekos (5/10/06), 6 years old, female
- Avielle Richman (11/17/06) 6 years old, female
- Lauren Rousseau (June 1982), Staff member, 30 years old, female
- Mary Sherlach (2/11/56), Staff member, 56 years old, female
- Victoria Soto (11/04/85), Staff member, 27 years old, female
- Benjamin Wheeler (09/12/06), 6 years old, male
- Allison N. Wyatt (07/03/06), 6 years old, female
Today was a very bad day in America. In Newtown, CT; a 20 year-old shooter first killed his mother and then walked inside Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 20 young children and 7 adults. This morning I was preparing to write-up a post for Geek Alabama when I first saw the news on TV. At first they were only reporting a few injuries but that soon turned to horror. Who in the right mind can go inside an elementary school and kill that many innocent children? I wanted to share a few thoughts before this horrible day comes to an end.
Teachers are heroes: No doubt some of the adults inside Sandy Hook Elementary School died trying to save as many children as they can. Teachers and the administrators who work inside the schools are heroes in my book! Each day these adults not only teach the kids they also protect and nurture them. In the economy we are in, some kids are hurting! The teachers and administrators make sure the hurting kids have someone they can talk too and comfort as well. In all the problems I went through as a child, a teacher was often the only adults I could talk too and trust. Sure some kids made fun of me saying I was a teacher’s pet. But I felt like teachers were people who I could trust. The hard work they do every day is just amazing!
Danger can happen anywhere: There have been multiple school and public shootings in the past few years. These things can happen anywhere. Schools have been stepping up security measures and Sandy Hook Elementary School had tough security measures. But sadly that did not matter today as the shooter still got in. I am sure in the coming weeks and months we will have a debate about school security. And yes, I believe schools are about to get more secure and that’s a good thing!
Stop the crazy political stuff: 20 year-old Adam Lanza did a very bad thing today. Something happened in his life that made him do this senseless crime. We don’t know what made him do this and frankly I don’t care right now. We need to care about the 20 kids and 7 adults who were killed by this guy. These families will have to go through Christmas without their loved ones. And that is the worst Christmas I can ever think of. I have seen online reports about this guy that makes me cringe. I will be going into more detail about that in a future post.
America is losing its way: All of these mass shootings and other crimes are a sign that we are losing are way. I wonder if people still know what is right from wrong in today’s world. We need to treat each life as a precious gift from God. And we need to get away from things evil. One debate that will heat up in the coming days is about gun control. And yes, I will talk about that in a future post.
Many people are wanting to know where they can send care packages and letters. Thanks to friends on social media I have a couple of addresses where you can send things to comfort the people affected by this senseless crime.
Sandy Hook Vol. Fire and Rescue
18-20 Riverside Rd/Po Box 783
Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
77 Main Street
P.O. Box 344
Newtown, Ct. 06470
Newtown Police Department
3 Main Street
Newtown, CT 06470
Newtown Public Schools/Superintendent’s office:
3 Primrose Street
Newtown, CT 06470
Danbury Hospital Emergency Room Staff
24 Hospital Avenue
Danbury, CT 06810
You can also follow the R.I.P. Sandy Hook Elementary School Children Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/SandyHookChildren.
President Obama held a news conference today about the shootings. Today he did not talk about politics, he talked from his heart about being a dad. When the President of the United States sheds a tear or two, you know its been a tough day. Pray for the victims!
- Adam Lanza: Connecticut Shooting Suspect Identified, Dead at Scene (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- School Shooting Reported in Newtown, Conn. (abcnews.go.com)
- 26 Massacred in Elementary School As Gunman May Be Teacher’s Son (foxnews.com)
- Children, gunman dead in Conn. elementary school shooting (cbsnews.com)