Today Geek Alabama is joining two awesome food bloggers, Jenn of Jenn Cuisine and Barb of Creative Culinary, who have spearheaded Food Bloggers Support For Sandy. As you know; Hurricane Sandy has caused a lot of damage in the northeast. Living in Alabama; people know what to do when a hurricane comes up from the Gulf of Mexico. We had our horrible weather event on April 27, 2011 when over 250 in Alabama were killed from the massive tornado outbreak. Here is video showing the Tuscaloosa tornado on live TV from ABC 33/40 and James Spann.
Hurricane Sandy caused billions of dollars in damage. It also left many people without power, food, gas, and the essentials. Even today there are still some people who are still suffering. Some of these videos shows the power of Sandy. Major storms like this brings heavy wind and huge storm surge.
Along with our comfort food virtual effort we are asking for a real effort too. Geek Alabama is encouraging everyone to make a donation to those in desperate need. Several organizations are dedicating themselves to helping the victims of hurricane Sandy. Some of the larger ones include:
- American Red Cross is providing food, shelter, and other forms of support to hurricane victims. You can donate directly to the Red Cross or you can also text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- The Salvation Army is also focused on providing food, shelter, and support to victims, and takes donations for storm relief.
- Feeding America is providing food, water and supplies to those who need it as part of their disaster relief program.
- Toomer’s for Tuscaloosa is currently gathering supplies to be taken to the storm affected areas.
We’ll be tweeting using the hashtag #FBS4Sandy so be sure to ask your friends to join us. Click on the link to see some great recipes from many food bloggers today! http://www.creative-culinary.com/2012/11/food-bloggers-support-for-sandy-and-a-toast-to-the-heroes/.
For my comfort food I decided to make something that anyone could enjoy. Who doesn’t enjoy have a homemade cinnamon roll? You have to enjoy this sweet treat during breakfast or anytime during the day. Here is what you need:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 yeast packet
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter; softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter; softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine warm water and yeast in a bowl and let yeast rise for 10 minutes.
2. Combine all dough ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Then knead the dough on floured surface. Put dough back in bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in bowl and mix together.
4. Spread out dough into a large rectangle. Spread-out 1/3 cup butter on top of dough. Then spread-out cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.
5. Roll up dough and then cut into even slices.
6. After splitting dough; let the rolls rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. After resting; bake rolls in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Let the baked rolls cool!
8. While the rolls are cooling; combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Combine well!
Top the cinnamon rolls with some icing and enjoy! Pray for the people suffering from Hurricane Sandy!
- How To Help After Hurricane Sandy (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Butter Pecan Cinnamon Rolls (whatchamakinnow.blogspot.com)
- Hurricane Sandy: How you can volunteer and donate (travelmobsblog.wordpress.com)
- Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts (programmingassistant.com)
- Sandy’s aftermath: How to help (todaynews.today.com)