Post is from Sunday Scaries
CBD oil is a super-broad term that covers tinctures, capsules, vape oils, and even dabs. Learn the lowdown on broad-spectrum and isolate CBD oil products of every type.
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil comes from the cannabis plant, and chances are good that you see this magical tincture all over the place. That’s because CBD is booming as the world starts to see its benefits—including quieting the mind and relieving stress.
People love CBD oil because it’s an easy way to get your chill on without the psychoactive high that comes with THC-containing marijuana products. But did you know that CBD oil is more than just a tincture than you drop under your tongue? That’s one way to take it, sure. But today, CBD oil also appears in products like:
- Dab oils
- Soft gels
Still asking yourself, “what is CBD oil, EXACTLY, and why do I need it?” Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of these helpful hemp extracts:
What are CBD extracts?
Cannabidiol extracts are oils that are derived from the cannabis plant, including the stems, flowers, and leaves. In a few cases, seeds are part of the mix, too.
These extracts can be either marijuana-based or hemp-based. As you may have guessed from the names, marijuana-based extract comes from high-THC cannabis plants, while hemp-based extract comes from hemp plants with less than the legal threshold of THC (0.03%, as of 2020).
CBD extracts can be:
- Full-spectrum means it contains all the terpenes and minor cannabinoids found in the plant, often including psychoactive THC.
- Broad-spectrum means it contains most of the terpenes and minor cannabinoids found in cannabis, but not psychoactive THC.
- Isolate, which means it contains only CBD and no other terpenes or cannabinoids. You might see these marketed as “pure CBD” extracts.
If you’re looking to get some relief from the Monday blues without getting high, a broad-spectrum product is most likely the best choice. However, plenty of people benefit from isolate products too!
What are the effects of CBD oil?
CBD oil can help you tackle the pressures of daily life by making it all seem easier to handle. With a few drops of tincture or a couple of gummies, you can:
- Quiet your mind
- Get out of your own head
- Mellow out and unwind
- And generally take the edge off!
If you’re grappling with nervousness, second-guessing yourself, or struggling with low self-esteem, CBD extracts may help you squash racing thoughts and stop worrying so $#@^* much!
What’s the best CBD oil for you?
The best CBD oil really depends on your needs and how your body responds to different hemp products. That being said, many people find that broad-spectrum oil is the best choice for them.
Full-spectrum oils can cause the adverse side effects of THC, such as paranoia and anxiety, whereas isolate oils don’t contain the additional compounds that really allow CBD to shine.
You see, CBD is susceptible to an entourage effect – that means it works more effectively in the presence of other cannabinoids. You may find that you get the same impact at a lower dose with a broad-spectrum CBD oil compared to an isolate.
How do you use CBD oil?
The way you use CBD oil depends on your method of choice! There are many ways to take it, and there’s sure to be a way that fits your lifestyle and schedule.
The most common methods of using CBD oil include:
- Sublingual administration, which means dropping the oil under your tongue and holding it there for 60 to 90 seconds until it absorbs into your bloodstream. This is the fastest way to use CBD oil besides dabbing, with the onset of effects within 5-15 minutes.
- Oral administration can mean taking oral soft gels, eating some gummies, or mixing a few drops of tincture into your morning coffee. It can take 60 to 90 minutes for the CBD to start kicking in, but the effects last the longest, and it’s the most convenient method.
Some people dab concentrated CBD oils, which means using high temperature to vaporize the oil and inhale the vapor. This leads to the fastest onset of effects (almost instant), but you should only dab oils that are explicitly meant to be vaped.
Your CBD dosing regimen could include:
- Putting a few drops of fruit punch-flavored tincture under your tongue while you’re getting ready for work
- Drinking a YOLO Energy Shot for the synergistic effects of CBD and caffeine at lunchtime.
- Taking a few gummies or Unicorn Jerky before bed to unwind.
- Dabbing CBD on the weekend to get your party face on without the 420 feels!
CBD dosing is variable, which means there isn’t a standardized dose that works for everyone. Most people start with titrated dosing. That means they start at a small amount and work their way up until they reach the dose where there’s the most benefit without any negative side effects.
It may take a few days or weeks to figure out your perfect CBD dose. But once you do, you’ll be feeling your coolest and most collected on command!