This is Crowdsourcing Mornings! This post takes place every weekday morning and highlights one crowdsourcing project I liked from Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or other crowdsourcing websites.
What our culture has come to know as “kid-friendly” food is often just the opposite: Today’s kids are interested in much more than hot dogs and chicken fingers, and they can be highly capable, creative cooks—when we let them. As parents, they’ve found that most kids’ content doesn’t respect their intelligence and abilities when it comes to eating—and cooking. Little Sous is changing the way kids learn how to cook by giving them a strong foundation in technique and improvisation, connecting them not only to what’s on their plates, but to themselves and the world around them. They’re also supporting parents by reframing the opportunities that exist at mealtime to help families maximize the valuable time they have to spend together—and to use the kitchen as a place to parent with purpose.
Their Kitchen Academy kits are an immersive culinary experience that the whole family can feel great about. They’re designed for kids aged 5 to 12, though there’s plenty for younger children to do, and adults will be surprised at how much they learn alongside their little ones. While kids will be able to do many of the activities independently, adult supervision and assistance is recommended, especially when sharp equipment and hot surfaces are involved. Each box is designed around a theme and contains all of the following (be sure to check out our prototype gallery above to see more detailed images):
- A step-by-step cooking lesson adapted from the Little Sous curriculum. From making ricotta cheese and chocolate from scratch to baking homemade bread (without a recipe!), all of our cooking lessons are developed by experienced culinary educators and designed to help kids build their independence and fundamental skills. Bold, easy-to-understand illustrations and tips guide kids and their parents through each themed lesson. Families can also visit our website to watch a video-based version of the lesson.
- Collectable recipe cards developed around the theme. Our team has years of experience developing recipes that kids can accomplish with minimal adult assistance. Some recipes build upon the core cooking lesson (for example, turning homemade ricotta into a no-bake cheesecake), while others will teach kids about new techniques and ingredients. Each recipe card includes a photograph and tips for adult helpers.
- Hands-on activities for the whole family that teach cooking techniques, food science, and help kids develop their food preferences and vocabulary while encouraging experimentation and exploration in the kitchen.
- A two-sided, ready-to-color poster that includes interactive games, puzzles and other activities that beg kids to dive in and play while they learn about food cultures around the world. Each poster also includes an opportunity for kids to create and share their artwork to win a monthly prize.
- A sheet of vinyl stickers inspired by the monthly theme. Kids will love using these funny food puns and playful characters to decorate their stuff.
- A high-quality, kid-friendly kitchen tool, gadget, or non-perishable ingredient sourced from top culinary brands. Most of the kitchen tools designed for kids are no more useful than toys, so we’re committed to finding the best equipment for your Little Sous. From kid-safe cutlery to innovative gadgets and hard-to-find ingredients, our goal is to build a set of tools that give your Little Sous a sense of ownership over their very own cooking equipment. For example: Our inaugural box comes with an Oxo Wire Cheese Slicer (retail price: $15).
We want the entire family to be excited when they see the Little Sous box arrive, because both parents and kids know connection—and fun—is waiting inside.
As of June 14th, this project has raised $16,500 of their $15,000 goal. This project has 23 days left to raise as much as it can. For a pledge of $25, you will get one box. For a pledge of $50, you will get two boxes. To learn more and to pledge money, go to: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/999052041/little-sous-kitchen-academy-a-creative-cooking-box
Categories: Crowdsourcing Mornings Stuff