This is Crowdsourcing Mornings! This post takes place every weekday morning and highlights one crowdsourcing project I liked from Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or other crowdsourcing websites.
MegaBots, Inc. was challenged by Japan to a giant robot duel, and they accepted… but demanded that the fight include hand-to-hand combat. They say BRING IT ON. They’ve assembled an incredible team of patriots to help them upgrade the Mk.II into the robot America deserves in the world’s first giant robot fight, but they need your support to help pay for those upgrades! Right now, the existing Mk.II tops out at 2.5 mph and is built for long-range paintball combat. That means it has thin, destructible armor plates and a mesh canopy. The entire robot’s built to be ‘lightweight’ (if you can call 12,000 pounds light), and hand-to-hand fighting is a whole new level of combat.
In order for the Mk.II to survive hand-to-hand combat, they need to:
- Add heavy duty armor plating
- Add some serious firepower
- Upgrade their hydraulics to handle the heavier armor and firepower
- Increase their top speed
- Upgrade their power unit to keep up with their new hydraulic system and speed
That basic upgrade will cost $500,000. In order to make sure they win the fight, they need to:
- Test a wide range of weapons and choose the best load-out
- Keep their balance during hand to hand combat and not fall over
- Not injure theirselves in the cockpit during combat
- Fight with an incredibly sweet paint job. While not strictly required, this is a matter of national pride.
All told, a fully upgraded Mk.II will cost $1,500,000. Team USA needs your help now, in order to win this fight. Pledge today to make sure your team takes home the trophy!
As of August 19th, this project has raised around $200,000 of their $500,000 goal. This project only has 29 days left to raise the $500,000 or it will not be funded! For a pledge of $10, you will get a MegaBots logo sticker. For a pledge of $25, you will get their robot concept art in poster form. To learn more and to pledge money, go to: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megabots/support-team-usa-in-the-giant-robot-duel