As I watched the amazing jump from Felix Baumgartner last Sunday many people on social media said he did this jump from space. The real truth is he jumped from 24 miles up in the earth’s stratosphere in a capsule. You have to get over 500,000 feet up before something can orbit around the Earth. And the International Space Station is 1,310,000 feet up! So yes the jump was cool to watch. But Felix did not jump from space. This handy infographic from popsci.com puts Felix’s jump in perspective. The infographic shows you what happens as you go higher up in the atmosphere. In fact Felix Baumgartner wasn’t even halfway to space! But after all of this it was one really cool jump! Enjoy the infographic below!
- Infographic: How Close Did Felix Baumgartner Get To The Edge Of Space? (occupytvstations.com)
- Felix Baumgartner skydive: that was one rather helpful leap for space tourism (telegraph.co.uk)
- Felix Baumgartner’s Space Jump Remains Just as Epic When Recreated in LEGO Form (Video) (nesn.com)
- The Evening Post: Record Breaking Jump (geekalabama.com)
- The Evening Post: Gangnam Busters (geekalabama.com)