I can not believe this is really a controversial issue. But a mural in a SE Atlanta neighborhood is slated to be painted over after residents complained about seeing a nude women in art. The location of this mural is at an abandoned building at the corner of McDonough Blvd. (GA Spur 42) and Sawtell Ave. (GA Conn 54)
This mural that recently received artwork of a women in stages of being undressed is going to be painted over because of some complaints from people living nearby. The Living Walls Conference who is a nonprofit organization in Atlanta commissioned the painting which was painted by Spanish artist Hyuro. The painting has received some praises from people but it has also received some complaints. Have a look for yourself; yes I have censored some parts of it because I would have gotten criticized for putting this on Geek Alabama. If you want to see the uncensored version click on the link below.
Some people living in the area have said this mural is too graphic and it is like seeing a pornographic every day while driving by. Volunteers who commissioned the painting said the mural represents a woman evolving and shedding off the darker parts of her self. Some people have said they would like to see a bikini put on the women in the mural. This mural has made international news and I wonder why this is really an issue?
- More than 90 percent of girls – 15 to 17 years – want to change at least one aspect of their physical appearance, with body weight ranking the highest.
- 80% of children who are 10 years old are afraid of being fat.
- 9 million teens in America below 15 years are obese, that’s three times more than in 1980.
- Obese boys and girls have significantly lower self-esteem than their non-obese peers.
- Up to 12% of teen boys are using unproven supplements and/or steroids.
- Nearly a quarter of girls age 15-17 would consider undergoing plastic surgery.
- 13 percent of girls age 15-17 acknowledge having an eating disorder.
- 7 in 10 girls believe they are not good enough or do not measure up in some way including their looks, performance in school and relationships.
- 80% of 10-year-old girls have dieted. 90% of high school junior and senior women diet regularly. Young girls are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of nuclear war, cancer, or losing their parents.
- The top wish among all girls is for their parents to communicate better with them which includes, more frequent and more open conversations, as well as discussions about what is happening in their own lives.
That last statistic should be required reading for all parents out there. I wish parents would pay attention to their children’s lives more closely. Parents should be telling their children that YOU look beautiful and you should ignore what other people are telling you about your looks. Sometimes I wished all humans were comfortable with their own bodies no matter what you looked like. Who cares if you have weird-looking ears, nose, or anything else. Who cares if you are wearing the worst looking clothes in the country. Who cares if you have a deformity on your body. You need to quit being ashamed of the way you look and get some self-esteem in yourself.
Some people are so uptight about their bodies for example they will go to a bathroom stall to change clothes in a locker room. I wished people would see the beauty of a naked human body. There is really nothing wrong seeing a person who is naked. Some people really makes this a huge issue when they see a person or artwork with nude images. Sure some people abuse other people especially kids and they should be put in prison. But this mural in Atlanta should be praised for showing the beauty of a naked body.
If you want to see this mural you better hurry up and see it because any day now it will be painted over and that is a shame!
- Mural of nude woman in Atlanta to be painted over (onlineathens.com)
- Nude mural elicits love, hate in SE Atlanta (ajc.com)