Lately I have posted some tasty recipes here on Geek Alabama. So for this post I thought it was time for a change of pace. Why not make your own Yogurt Parfait. Doing a parfait is not hard to do and it’s very simple! Here’s what you need.
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Yogurt
- One Chocolate Chip Granola Bar
- Strawberries or Blueberries (Or any fruit you want!)
- Strawberry Glaze to Top
1. Using a small glass. Layer the bottom of the glass with vanilla yogurt.
2. Crumble the Chocolate Chip Granola Bar and add-on top of the yogurt.
3. Add more vanilla yogurt on top of the crumbled granola.
4. Add fruit on top of the yogurt. I used frozen berries and that had to be defrosted before adding! You can add any fruit you want!
5. Add the strawberry glaze on top of the parfait.
There you have it! This parfait is healthier than what you would get at a fast-food joint. And this is a parfait that will not break the bank! Enjoy!
Since strawberries are in season right now. I wanted to try something that I knew would taste good. So with some simple ingredients you can make this too. And try this after it has been chilled in the fridge. I think it tastes better after getting cold. So here’s what you need!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl; combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then add in 2 cups milk mixing until moistened. Then spread batter into the two cake pans. Bake for 15 minutes and insert toothpick to make sure center comes out clean.
3. Cut strawberries in half and put into bowl. Add 1/4 cup sugar and mix well. Then let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup into container of whipped topping. Then layer half of whipped topping with half of strawberries on top of one shortcake. Then do the same thing with the second layer.
5. Put in fridge and enjoy!
We all enjoyed this recipe and I hope you enjoy it as well!
Update: I now post many food related posts on A Guy’s Cuisine. But this recipe was so good I wanted to post it here on Geek Alabama.
This recipe I would say is the best recipe I have done so far! I took this pie to my parents house for Easter and they could not believe it was so good! We even compared it to a $14 chocolate silk pie from Whole Foods which was not very good. This pie is very easy to make and with strawberries in season right now. It’s not very expensive to make at all. So here’s what you need.
1. Line one of the pie crusts into a pie pan. Preheat oven
to 425 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients except for strawberries into a bowl.
3. Finely chop strawberries then add to other ingredients in bowl. Mix well.
4. Pour mixture into pie pan lined with pie crust.
5. Put on other pie crust on top; cut slits on top; and trim off excess pie dough. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until slightly brown.
6. Take out of oven; let cool then enjoy!
We were very impressed with this pie. It was very good! We compared my homemade pie to a store-bought pie from Whole Foods. The Whole Foods pie was very bitter and lacked taste. We were very disappointed with the Whole Foods pie and we will not buy one from there again. I guess my parents are going to rely on me for future pies! And that’s great! Look for more pie recipes on A Guy’s Cuisine and Geek Alabama in the future!
- Fresh Strawberry Pie (awahmomspointofview.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry Pizza- WHAT?!! (greenmediasf.wordpress.com)
- Strawberry Muffins (youngsblog.com)
Since Valentines Day is only a few days away. I wanted to do something that a guy could cook easily and maybe do a breakfast in bed for your lady. Strawberry pancakes with homemade syrup is something that could be made very easily and everyone will love. I really enjoyed the fresh strawberries in the pancakes. And the homemade syrup is better for you than the stuff bought in a store. Let’s get started!
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the milk, oil, egg and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Stir in the strawberries.
2. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, and coat with butter or cooking spray. Pour batter into desired size of pancakes. Flip with a spatula when bubbles appear in the center. Cook until golden brown on the other side.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a saucepan, combine the sugars, water and corn syrup; bring to a boil over medium heat. Broil for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in maple flavoring and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes.
This was a very good breakfast this morning. I had some scrambled eggs and some milk with the pancakes. And it was very good! And I am now starting to get the hang of food photography.